If you've ever wondered what a clay bar is and how to use it, we're here to help! A clay bar is a simple way to remove contaminants like iron particles, overspray paint, or contamination that makes the paint feel rough on the surface of your car. The process is easy and can be done in your garage or driveway. Plus, if you follow our instructions carefully—you'll end up with a much cleaner car that will be smooth like glass.
What is a clay bar?
A clay bar is a soft and smooth piece of synthetic clay material that you use to remove contaminants
from the surface of your car. You can pull pieces off and mold or shape it. You can also get a clay block, clay mitt, or clay towel. It does the same as a clay bar and is easier to use. It works by removing embedded contaminants from the paint. These contaminants make the paint feel like sandpaper, in most cases you are unable to see the contaminants but you will feel them. The contaminants embed themselves in the clay thus removing it from the paint.
Clay bars are not meant to be used as a final step in detailing your vehicle; they're only meant for use before applying a sealant product. In most cases, a clay bar is used to prep the surface to be polished. The clay bar will leave small scratches and would need to be polished.
How to use a clay bar?
The first step to using a clay bar is to wash the car. This wash will remove any loose dirt or grease from the surface of the paint, which can interfere with how well the clay works.
1. Rip off a piece of clay and knead it into a ball. Flatten the ball flat.
2. Put the excess clay in a safe place where dirt cannot get to it.
3. You must use some kind of lubrication for the claying process. You can use the soapy water you used to wash the car, a quick detailer spray, or use a decontamination chemical made to remove iron contaminates. (In most cases soapy water will work)
4. With a lot of soapy water on the car dunk the clay bar into the soapy water bucket and start to rub the surface of the paint with medium pressure. It should feel like you are scrubbing. Work in a small area and clay the area, feel the paint with your hand. If it's smooth then that section is done. Do not over clay the area. This is cause unnecessary scratches. If it still feels a little rough clay the area again.
5. Check the clay after every use and look for contamination in the clay. If the clay looks dirty fold and kneed the clay bar and flatten it, this will give you a new clean piece of clay to use.
6. If the clay bar has been kneaded several times and there are no clean areas, just get a new piece of clay.
7. Work your way around the vehicle rinsing and drying the soapy water. That's it you're
How often to clay your car?
The clay bar should be used once you start feeling the paint getting rough after washing the car. This may take months or years depending on the use of the car. The goal of using a clay bar is to remove contaminants from the paint's surface. The fewer contaminants on the vehicle after washing it, the easier it will be for other products like sealants to bond with your car's surface. If a sealant is applied on a contaminated surface, the sealant will not last or protect the paint.
The use of a clay bar should not replace regular washing habits--you still need to wash off dirt and grime every week or so! It also shouldn't replace regular waxing; claying only removes surface contaminants while polishing removes deeper ones that may have been missed during regular washing (or when using other products like sealants).
Using a clay bar is easy, and you'll love the results.
Clay bars are great for removing contaminants from your paint, including dirt and paint overspray. They'll also remove brake dust and other contaminants that can be hard to get rid of with traditional washing methods. Plus, if you live in an area where there's lots of hard water (like Florida), it may also be worth using a clay bar just to prevent water spots from forming on your windshields or windows! Yes, you can clay glass.
We hope this article has helped you understand the benefits of using a clay bar. If you have any questions, please don't hesitate to ask!
Fresh Eco Steam Cleaning