What is wet sanding and how is it done?
Wet sanding is a process used to remove imperfections from a vehicle's paint by carefully sanding the surface with wet sandpaper. This process is typically used to remove deep scratches, orange peel, and other defects in the paint.
The detailed process of wet sanding a vehicle's paint typically involves the following steps:
1. Clean the vehicle: Thoroughly clean the vehicle to remove any dirt, debris, or other contaminants from the paint surface. This may include doing a contamination wash and a clay bar treatment.
2. Mask off surrounding areas: Use painter's tape and plastic sheeting to mask off any areas around the paint surface that should not be sanded.
3. Select the right sandpaper: Choose the appropriate grit of sandpaper for the specific job. Typically, coarse grits like 1000, or 1200 are used to remove deep scratches, while finer grits like 1500 or 2000 are used to smooth out the surface.
4. Begin sanding: Wet the sandpaper with water and start sanding the surface in a circular or back-and-forth motion. Keep the sandpaper wet to prevent it from clogging and to avoid damaging the paint. A sanding block is recommended to apply even pressure on the sandpaper and paint surface.
5. Rinse and inspect: Periodically rinse the surface with water to remove any debris, and inspect the progress of the sanding. Blow to dry quickly and check to see if you can still see the scratch.
6. Repeat the process: Continue sanding with progressively finer grits of sandpaper until the surface is smooth and free of imperfections and the scratches are gone.
7. Two-step paint correction: After the sanding process is complete, use a rotary or dual-action polisher to restore the shine and luster of the paint surface.
Wet sanding can be a complex and time-consuming process, and it should be performed by a professional with experience and expertise in this technique to avoid damaging the paint or causing further imperfections.
Call Us: (407) 501-4446
View us Online: www.FreshEcoSteam.com
Email us: Gavin@FreshEcoSteam.com
Services Provided: Ceramic Coatings, Paint Correction, Auto Detailing, Steam Cleaning
Cities and Towns Our Customers are in Orlando, Central Florida, and surrounding cities